Tuesday, August 21, 2007

R.K.Laxman, cartoons, autographs,

One small corner of me reserves my interest in cartoons . My cartooning hero is R.K.Laxman. I 'read' his lines drawn in his cartoons. They are so life-like and natural. So much like a picture! Of course, his old age, hampered by a slight paralytic stroke has changed the way his cartoons look but not the zeal to draw - he is a born cartoonist.

Sometime in 1986 I almost met him in his Times of India [Bombay] chamber. I was just passing by that heritage building, alone. Suddenly a thought flashed about trying my luck at meeting him! I went in and inquired for him. I was sent near his chamber from where the security guard gave me his intercom link. I told the great man on the phone in Kannada and English that I was from Mysore wanting to just meet for one minute for an autograph. He answered in English and a couple of words in Kannada: "Not now, may be some other time.... I'm in a meeting." I said okay Sir [what to do?] and then left the place a bit disappointed.

Had he said 'yes, come in.', I would have seen a scene like this!  This is a web-grab image.

In 1990, another thought flashed in my mind "why not try and get his autograph by post?" I had done this to many touring cricket teams from abroad and got what I wanted, thanks to the kindess of team managements. So I took my empty letter-head, wrote a short letter on another introducing that I was an admirer of his cartoons, hailing from Mysore and that I wanted his autograph on that empty letter-head. I also enclosed an SASE and mailed it to his ToI address. Much to my delight, I got what I requested and more - he drew his famous "common man" as well, within 10 days. Here it is:

It came as a great inspiration because I had with me a torn copy of his "You Said It" book which was a collection of selected cartoons. I tried to imitate the lines just for fun and not with any real purpose. Some of the expressions he gave to his characters were absolute beauties! Some of his caricatures of famous personalities were out of this world. Not for nothing he is considered a genius!
Here are some of my own attempts much later, not imitating my hero's,. Some of these were published in a local paper. My lines are not to be compared with that of Laxman's!









I had written a letter to a newspaper in Kannada about how they awfully mispronounce Kannada. Click here for my blog



Cartooning is just my interest, a fancy. I'm a great comic book fan too, as can be expected.

7 comments:

Kamini said...

I really enjoyed all your cartoons - you have a real talent for this! And that autographed picture is really a treasure - something very special. Lucky you!

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

A most enjoyable series of cartoons. It is a real gift that you have.
I once read that it is a most difficult art form - you have to know how to draw, and that too in a fixed space of less than 2 to 3", you mush have a nice way with words to create the right effect with humour.

It is a pity, though that you could not meet RKL. Anyway, glad that he sent you his autograph with the drawing of the Common Man. It is a treasure

kallu said...

The cartoons are funny. It requires a real talent to think of putting across a message with humor. And of course some drawing talent. Great you have both. And your persistence to get some contact with your idol- nice it paid off.Good for you:-)

Mysore Blog Park said...

Many thanks. In an interview, methinks it was RKL himself, he told that a cartoonist has to be a complete person because only an observant person can become a good cartoonist. He has to have a good sense of humour, good knowledge of things around him in all spheres, he has to be an artist, he has to know all emotions... As some famous quotation goes, "it is no laughing matter to make others laugh."

I'll add a couple of my cricket cartoons which I have forgotten.

Dinakar

GW said...

I never thought of potholes there, but I guess they're a universal annoyance! Come to the US and visit states where freezes and thaws through the winter wreak havoc on the roads. Ugh!

Your cartoons are great - I like your people characters a lot! You are a talented artist, something I didn't know about you until seeing these tonight. Huh!

wineye said...

Great set of Cartoons.. every Cartoonist has his own charm.. your sketches are so much better than what appears in a few local newspapers.. A great talent.. i hope we get to see more of it !!

Arun Visweswaran said...

Lovely cartoons !